Thursday, August 19, 2010

Goodbye Birdie Fly

Written by Cullen, Avery and Addison:

Birdie Fly's Obituary

"Birdie Fly died when a Segal got her and dropped her down on the cement on our deck.
Survived by her Mommy - Angie, Daddy - David, Sister - Khloe and Brother - Carson.
Birdie Fly is 2 years old and lived in a nest in the neighbor's tree.
Birdie's soul went to be with God in Heaven.
Rest in Peace Birdie Fly

After waking the kids up for the day they went outside on the deck.  Now normally I expect the kids to find frogs, toads or bugs, but today Avery was holding up something else and started to scream.  "Look Auntie Em!  Look!  I found a bird!"  I went to look and sure enough she was holding up a dead bird.  YUCK!  I told her to immediately drop the bird and wash her hands. 

Then Avery asked "what we should do with the bird?"  Hmmm...my first thought was throw it in the trash!  But that is no fun when you are a kid so we decided to bury it.  "What should we bury it in Auntie Em?" asked Addison.  We found a nice Red Z-gallery box and decorated it with a paper flower and the kids made pictures for Birdie Fly.  "Now where do we bury Birdie Fly?"  Addie suggested the beach and all the kids agreed the beach would be the best place.  The last thing I am sure Angie and Dave would love to find on their beach is a dead bird in a nicely decorated box so I suggested the field across the street where wild flowers grow.  They thought that was a fabulous idea.  So we got Avery's gardening tools and headed over to the field to dig Birdie Fly's grave.  Now I have to say digging a hole is a lot harder than I thought, plus I had to dig through all the wild flower roots.  I have never planted or dug a hole before so this was great practice for me.  (I hope to plant flowers soon in my back yard)  :)  All the kids picked a wild flower and put it on top of the grave and said their last wishes.  "Goodbye Birdie Fly have fun with God in Heaven".

Olivia was taking her nap the whole time we made Birdie Fly a casket, dug a hole and burial.



Some other fun things to remember about today:

On the way to school the kids wanted me to drive by the grave site.  As we drove by the kids yelled "Goodbye Birdie Fly we hope you feel better!"

On the way back from dropping Avery and Cullen off to school Addison and I started jamming out to one of Katie Perry's songs on the radio.  I looked back in the mirror and Sully and Olivia were moving their arms and heads to the beat too.  SOOO CUTE!

I was getting Olivia out of the car and she saw the Wild Cherry Pepsi sitting in the garage and she pointed and said "BEER!"  She learned that word from her dad.  :)

Other Pictures

Steve is home tonight and is reading a book to Olivia as I write this...soon it will be lights out!  Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment