Saturday, December 11, 2010

Chili

I am not a famous chef but there is one recipe that never fails me. 
Here is my Chili recipe that is fool proof and tested by dozens.  Enjoy!

12 Ounces ground beef
1 cup chopped onion (1Large)  ... The recipe calls for it but I never add this...I am not a huge fan of onions.
1/2 cup chopped green sweet pepper
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 - 14 1/2 ounce can tomatoes, cut up
1 - 15 ounce can dark red kidney beans rinsed and drained (Optional)  Not everyone is a fan of beans. =)
1 can of magic chili or chili of your choice.  (Magic Chili always gives me the best results but I have tried without and it tastes just as good....Steve would disagree)
1 -8 oz can tomato sauce
2/3 teaspoons chili powder.  (I usually do 2 - if you like extra spicy add the 3rd)
1/2 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
1/4 teaspoon pepper

In a large saucepan cook ground beef, onion, sweet pepper, and garlic till meat is brown and onion is tender.  drain fat.  Stir in undrained tomatoes, kidney beans, tomato sauce, chili powder, basil, and pepper.  Bring to boiling; reduce heat.  Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.  makes about 5 cups ( 4 main dish servings)

Crock Pot Directions: Cook meat, onion sweet pepper, and garlic as above.  Drain fat.  In a 3 1/2 or 4 quart electric crockery cooker combine meat mixture, undrained tomatoes, beans, tomato sauce, chili powder, basil, and pepper.  Cover; cook on low heat setting for 8-10 hours or on high heat setting for 4-5 hours. 

I usually do the crock pot.  It is much easier and makes your house smell yummy!

1 comment:

  1. I can vouch for Emily's Chili. It is Yummy!!

    ReplyDelete