Saturday, September 11, 2010

Salmon for dinner? Don't invite us!

I have decided I am going to cook a new meal once a week.  I hate cooking for two and I despise going to the grocery store so I hope I can do this.

Today I found a recipe in the Rachel Ray magazine called Roast Salmon with mustard vinaigrette.  It only has 5 ingredients so I thought this would be an easy start.  I have never had salmon before..believe it or not but I love seafood, tilapia, cod and the fish that my dad catches.  I should like Salmon right?

I usually get tense before going into a grocery store because I usually can't find one or two ingredients that I need for a recipe.  Today I had no problems.  I found everything that I needed for this dish.

I made the mustard vinaigrette first and when it came to putting the hard boiled eggs in to a fine sieve I didn't have a clue.  What in the heck is a sieve anyway?  I noticed the sauce was lumpy from the hard boiled eggs and it needs to be a little more saucy so I got out my smoothie pro 600 and smoothed it all out!  By the way this machine makes a killer margarita.  Olivia and I loved the taste when it was all blended. However, I did notice the sauce was more yellow in the picture than mine which was more green.  I am assuming the parsley made it green from all the blending.  I started getting excited about this cooking thing.  Then I opened up the salmon and flipped it over and I started to scream while waving my hands in the air.  I can't believe there is actually fish skin on salmon...uh aren't they suppose to remove it before they sell it?  I tried to remove the skin but it was not coming off so I called my mom.  After speaking with her I learned you are not suppose to remove the skin because it is what keeps it all together.   Shouldn't they tell you this in the magazine?  At this point I am dry heaving because I can't touch salmon with the skin on it..I bite the bullet and continue to add olive oil, salt and pepper then put it in the oven to bake.

When I took the salmon out of the oven it looked pretty good and cooked all the way through so I added the yummy sauce, my sides (rice and garlic mashed potatoes) and a salad. 

This is what the picture looked like in the magazine.  I think I did ok.  Right?

I had two different cuts of Salmon.  I wasn't sure which one to get at the store.  It was suppose to be the top cut.

Everything tasted good until I took a bite of the Salmon.  Now remember I have never had salmon before...let's just say I couldn't even swallow it.  Steve didn't like it either but he tells me after I made the darn thing he has never really liked Salmon because of it's fishy taste.  I am not going to blame the fact that we didn't like the salmon on my cooking efforts because the sauce and sides were fabulous.  Steve and I just figured out we do not like salmon.  So if you having Salmon for dinner...don't invite us!

This is what we ate instead!

Pudgy's Pizza with Oreo's for dessert!
There are three things that I can not live with out.  Milk, oreos and hot chocolate.  Just a little tip:  The best way to eat oreos is to fill a glass with 5-6 cookies, pour skim milk to the top of the glass, let it sit for a minute and then eat with a spoon!

That is what I call Gourmet!  Bon Appetit!

If you like salmon here is the recipe: 
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.  Place a 1 1/2 pound wild salmon fillet skin side down on parchment-lined shallow baking sheet; drizzle with 1 tablespoon extra virgin oil and season with salt and pepper.  roast until beads of moisture form on te surface, about 8 minutes; let cool to room temperature.  In a small bowl, whisk togetehr 3 tablespoons wite wine vinegar and 2 teaspoons dijon mustard, then shisk in 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil.  ofrce 4 hard boiled eggs throuhg a fine sieve into the mustard vinaigrette; stir in 3 tablespoons finely chopped parsley.  Serve with the salmon.

By the way I saved the sauce I made for Angie because she could eat salmon in her sleep. 

Good night...have a great weekend. Looking forward to Addison's 4th birthday party on Sunday!


Left handed?

Right handed?

<>><><><><><><><><><><><>><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
<>
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Left handed...?

No comments:

Post a Comment