Friday, April 15, 2011

Surgery Day!

Friday, April 15, 2011

6:30 AM  Steve and I arrive and check in at Midland's Hospital.

I am introduced to my nurse as she takes me back for a urine sample, wash down with surgical wipes, change in to my hospital gown, surgery tights, stockings and surgery cap.  Holy cow did I look ridiculous!  My mom and dad arrived for a last good bye and of course my dad was trying to get a picture of me.  Needless to say I won..there were NO Pictures!

I was starting to get anxious as there was a clock right in front of me and I found myself staring at the seconds.

7:15 AM
The anesthesiologist came in and asked me a LOT of questions and said I was going to be his easiest client.  I have been healthy my entire life, he laughed when I told him I never had a cavity, so there were no major concerns.

The nurses put in my IV and Dr. Grange (the general surgeon) came in to brief us before surgery.  The surgery lasts at least four hours so Dr. Montag (the cosmetic surgeon) wouldn't arrive for another hour when Dr. Grange needed her to start with her part. 

7:45 AM...now I am starting to get really nervous....only 15 minutes until surgery.

Dr. Grange is doing double mastectomy and a biopsy on my lymph nodes. If they test positive for cancer then she removes those nodes and several ones around them to make sure she removes all of the cancer.  Dr. Montag will move in after Dr. Grange and insert expanders under my breast muscle.  They look like deflated balloons and once I heal from the surgery (3-4 weeks) I will go in every week to have them filled with saline solution to help stretch my skin to my desired size. (This could take 3-6 months) I am going for a B cup this time... a gift to myself!  Once I get to a B cup then the expanders are removed in another surgery then an implant will take its place.  When it is all said and done I will look like a barbie.  Ta Ta's with no nipples and they will move with me.  Another bonus, when I am eighty my boobs will still be perky!  =)

THANK YOU Midlands Choice Insurance for my new Ta Ta's! =)

I remember one of the nurses say I probably won't remember much of the conversation because they started to administer the anesthesia.

8 AM

I remember the nurses rolling my bed past Steve and my parents going to the surgery room and then darkness....

9 AM, 10 AM, 11 AM,

12 PM (Steve said Dr. Montag came out and said everything was going fine, Dr. Grange was finishing up and should be done around 12:30 PM,

1PM.......

1:30 PM They finally got me to wake up from the anesthesia.

All I remember is seeing my mother and father-in-law and saying thank you for coming and then I was out for the rest of the day.

I don't remember this but Steve said when I woke up I was complaining of a pain in my arm. (from my port for chemo)

I am not sure when I woke up again but it was later in the evening and Steve was in a reclining chair next to me watching TV.  At this point I met my night nurse Megan who promised me to give me the much needed pain medications every 4 hours.  She brought me some water and did bring me my medications every four hours.  I had no pain. =)

Thanks to Marv and Annette my in-laws who drove all the way from Remsen, my friend Lyndsey who sat with my family and Steve while I slept, my parents who waited patiently for me to come out of surgery.  Thank you to my husband who was by my side through out today, Saturday and Sunday.

Thank you to my sister-in-laws Rebecca and Jessica who sent me pink roses.



Thank you to my Aunt Vicki and Uncle Denny who sent a bouquet of flowers.


Thank you to Ruth, Scott, Grant and Kyle who sent flowers.



Thank you to Leah, Chad and Charlie for the beautiful Tulips.


Thank you to my Aunt Linde, Uncle Terry, Leah and Chad for having cleaners come to our house.  It was spotless!

Thank you to Crystal for coming to visit me the next day, for the flowers, magazines for Steve and gift for Olivia.



Thank you Lyndsey for coming to visit me the next day.

Thank you Sasha for my get well kit! =)





Thank you Louise for my support pillows.



Thank you to my mom and sister for coming to visit me the next day.

Thank you Travis and Michelle for watching Jake and Elwood.

Thank you to my sister for watching Olivia the entire weekend.  I am sure she had a blast hanging out with her cousins.

Thank you to Dr.Grange and Dr. Montag and the staff of Midlands Hospital.  You made my stay very comfortable and helped me to get on the fast track to a complete recovery.

23 comments:

  1. Kevin Ridley

    Thank you for catching up on your blog because I am just now hearing about you. Your message is being heard all the way to Charlotte, NC. You will now be in my prayers. Keep fighting the fight

    ReplyDelete
  2. Abby Ohm- Phillips

    Thanks for the update!!! I did get the order in for the t-shirts today!!! I did order some extras too

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ellen Marie Billmeyer
    praying for you and yours Emily!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amy Westering
    All our love and healing thoughts coming your way lady! Love you - Billy, Amy & Liam

    ReplyDelete
  5. Emily DeLashmutt Klauer
    Thinking of you and praying for a quick recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dana Votava
    Hoping it all went well today! You are in my thoughts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Angela Giovanni Ross
    Thinking of you ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Courtney Gigliotti
    Sending my love and prayers Em!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Joan Allen
    Em, Have you in our thoughts and prayers today. Love you

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tammy Braasch
    Thinking and praying for you even more so today!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Katie Crites Reisbig
    Thinking of you today Emily! Lots of prayers for a smooth surgery and speedy recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sara Rahmig Recker
    Emily, good luck today!!! We are thinking about you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Michelle Pulte-Havlovic
    Sending you and your family our thoughts and prayers! Ps: Jake and Elwood are in good hands!! We lv ya!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Monica Kingery Higgins
    Good luck today, Emily!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sarah Deupree Kampsen
    thinking of you today emily.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Emily Wilson
    Thinking of you and sending warm, positive thoughts your way!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Kirstin 'Maurstad' Ricketts
    We will be praying for you all day today!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Katie Hoke-Harrower Praying for you sweet sweet Emily

    ReplyDelete
  19. Melissa Gregory
    Thinking about you today Em

    ReplyDelete
  20. .Pamela Pottebaum
    Praying for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Nate Darling
    Thoughts and prayers Emily.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Jill Kesinger Hartsell
    Thinking of you today! Prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Amazing story Emily! Please continue to update us when you feel up to it.

    I am so sorry for what you and your family are going through and will continue to pray for you.

    ReplyDelete