Saturday, April 2, 2011

Party #3 - American Cancer Society Relay for Life / BAR HOP


Sasha and I drove down to Lincoln for the American Cancer Society- Relay for Life.
We talked the whole way down about our college years spent in Lincoln and how much FUN it was!

My friend Emily, her sister Lauren and my cousin Leah surprised me with T-shirts.
Back: Lauren, Tiff, Sasha, Me, Angie, Leah, Emily
Front: Emily, Kathi, Julianne

Julianne and I have known each other since highschool.
We were on cheerleading and lived in the same dorms
our freshman year in college.  I met Kathi through Julianne,
they were soriorty sisters in Kappa Alpha Theta.

Lauren is Emily's sister so I have known Lauren since college.
Lauren brought her friend Tiff and Teresa who I have met a couple of times.

My cousin Leah brought her friend Emily who is the biggest sweetheart.

Angie is my sister....so she pretty much knows me inside and out!

Kathi was the mastermind behind this whole relay team STORM.
Kathi was also walking for her boss who passed away from kidney cancer
last year and for Hannah Huckfeldt.  You can read more about her in my
Auntie Em Prays section.  Please PRAY for Hannah and her family
as they are spending their last days with her and she is only 5 years old.
THANK YOU KATHI!

THANK YOU all so much for coming down!

Me and Andrea!
(Thank you for sharing your story with me.)

Andrea and I reminised about a fantastic St. Patrick's Day
weekend in Kansas City.  Andrea had just moved down
to KC sooo Kelli, Karen and I joined her for the festivities.
SOOO much FUN!

Sasha, Dana, me and Karen

Emily and Leah

  
My Econ / bar buddies! 
Kelli, Karen and I started hanging out more during a summer economics class. 
The only thing that got us through,  was our daily run to
Main Street Cafe after class to get sandwiches and BEER!


CHEERS!

If I had never met Kelli or Karen I would not have met
my husband Steve.  I met Steve the night of Kelli's birthday
party at The Bar November 21, 2003.  I didn't want to go out but
Karen talked me in to going to Lincoln for Kelli's birthday party.
I left around midnight to meet my cousin Leah at The Rail
which is where I met Steve in line.
THANK YOU Leah for suggesting The Rail. 
THANK YOU - Karen, for driving me down to Kelli's party.
THANK YOU -  Kelli, for your birthday party in Lincoln!! =)

Dana and Me
I will be hounding you Dana until you get some BALLS!!!! ;)

They lit candles for cancer survivors and those who had passed away from cancer.

I AM A SURVIVOR!   SUCK IT CANCER!

5 comments:

  1. Emily,

    The other day, I saw your status had something to do with breast cancer awareness, so I made it my status, "banana", and didn't think much about it after that. Again, you popped up on my newsfeed and I thought I'd catch up on reading a few blogs before trying to fall asleep. Long story short, I ended up reading every one of your posts in their entirety and just want you to know how much of an impact you're having on others, including me. I will be thinking and praying for you everyday.

    It is evident that you are such an amazing artist, mother, wife and woman--keep with your blog. You've inspired me to start writing again and I really would love to help in any way. I'm so glad I was able to get to know you a little better from having you create our amazing wedding videos. It's ironic that we just watched them over while we were with my parents two weeks ago and it made them both tear up.

    Your post about working at InSearch and just having faith in general has made me realize how bad I have been for not taking time for church lately or just to meditate on the things that matter. I can totally relate with your 6th sense and believe that some people have the ability to sense things; listening to your gut feeling can never be underestimated. You have such a great outlook, sense of humor and ability to write it all down, so stick with it!:)

    Happy late birthday to your Olivia and know that I am sending tons of good vibes your family's way.

    xx
    Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily,
    I came across your blog a couple months ago and read it with such delight! I loved the way you described taking care of your little ones. I especially appreciated your experiences with your daughter because our kids are very close in age. Last night I went in to check out what new things you were up to and my heart sank! To my core!!! I was bawling as I read your most recent news. You are such a strong, passionate, caring and BEAUTIFUL women. You will survive this I know but I'm devestated that you have to go through it. I know we are only cyber friends but please know that I will be caring you in my heart as you go through this chapter in your life. If there is ever anything I can do for you know that I am here. Sometimes having someone outside of your "bubble" can be a theraputic thing. You take care and know that God will give you the strength to endure this. KNOW THAT!!! Peace and blessings to you! Sending all my love,
    Melissa Carpenter

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Emily,

    I have been following your blog and just want to say you are so inspiring to me. I truly admire your courage and positive outlook...and your will to beat the cancer. I just wanted you to know you have been in my thoughts daily and I will continue to pray for you, for your surgery and chemotherapy to go well....and for your beautiful family.

    You will beat this I have absolutely no doubt.

    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  4. Emily, How are you doing? I've been thinking about you and your family lately. I want to let you know that Emily and I have been saying our prayers for you. We all know that you can beat this thing with a smile on your face:) I saw Grethen at Zio's on Tuesday and just made me think of you more. Thank you for posting all the updates on your blog, we love reading them. Anyway, I cant wait to give you a big hug next time I see you.
    -Brian

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Team and Supporters!

    We completed the Relay for Life on Saturday/Sunday. It was a great success and was wonderful to be surrounded with all of your support. The team was able to walk the 12 hours in shifts and it taught us a few things.

    1. We are no longer young whipper snappers. Bodies hurt. This is nothing compared to what cancer patients go through and it was our pleasure to keep moving through the discomfort for them. For all of those out there that have ever witnessed or experience the pain of treatments we salute you and applaud you for your endurance.

    2. You smile and cry all at the same time. We were able to hug our friend Emily and smile at her energy (it was such a sight to see Emily in bright pink walk with the survivors who were all dressed in purple). We know that this fight although it seems daunting will be won with positive energy, prayer and determination. When you don't have it in you Emily, we will, so no worries, you will walk that lap again next year.

    3. Birthdays should always be celebrated even if it is a fire hazard. We lit candles and sang to Bill at Midnight on his birthday. (Had to blow them out fast before security came as we were indoors on Astroturf. (not sure of the flammability there)). I hope Bill's family was able to reflect, gather some of his strength for themselves, and know that we are all there to support them and never forget their Bill. They are an inspiration and I know that Bill is so proud of them.

    4. Become humbled. We were humbled for two reasons. One, with the amazing donations, words of encouragement, and willing walkers. We were the top raising team in the Relay which is impressive for only joining a few weeks before the event. Two, because we realize that too often we cannot choose the outcome of everyone's' fight. As with Hannah's fight, we can only pray that God will provide time and eventually the peaceful understanding of his plan.
    Thank you all again for all you have done in support of these people and this fight.

    Keep believing in a cure and miracles!

    Kathi Scherzberg

    ReplyDelete