Thursday, April 14, 2011

My Cancer is Genetic

When I was diagnosed with cancer in March, I never thought I could get cancer.  Cancer does not run in my family.  I am healthy, I exercise on a regular basis, I do not smoke, I eat my fruits and vegetables.  I never thought I was at risk until today.   I met with Twilla Westercamp at Bergan Mercy Medical Center for the second time to get the results of my genetic testing. 

I must be lucky because I fall in the top 10% of having a mutation since birth.  What this means is my mom and/or dad  is a carrier.  This increases the risk of my mom and sister to develop breast and ovarian cancer, and my dad to develop prostate and breast cancer. 

The scary part is I could have passed this down to my daughter Olivia.  Twilla did say they are doing several clinical trials on vaccines to fix mutations.  What this means is by the time Olivia is old enough (19 years old) to have genetic testing they will have a cure to prevent cancer that come from mutations.  Thank God for modern medicine!

What is a mutation?  I am not quite sure myself because I am learning all this medical "stuff" all at once.  This is what I got out of it.  Cells reproduce all the time, copy each other and die off.  So let's say my cells ABCD are copied several times then die off the correct way.  The mutation I have is causing my cells to reproduce incorrectly.  I developed cancer because B and C switched and my cells are reproducing as ACBD which is incorrect.  Because my cells are being copied the wrong way, they will not die off causing my tumor to grow.  This is how I developed cancer.

My cancer is 1/3 estrogen based which is stimulated from pregnancy which is why I can not carry a child again.  The risk of the cancer coming back is extremely high and either I stay around for Olivia to grow up or I try for number two and not be around for either one.

In some ways I am relieved to know this so I can prepare Olivia when she is older.  I will have genetic testing done on her. 

T-minus 11 hours and counting and my cancer will be removed.  I am so relieved to get it out.  I can actually feel it growing and it is pinching a nerve which sends a sharp pain down my back.  It will be so nice to know it is out.  Please pray it has not spread and the doctors can remove all of the cancer.

Thank you so much to all my friends and family who have sent me well wishes and prayers.  I am so grateful to have you in my life.

Ta Ta for now!

27 comments:

  1. Katy Wolf Bode
    Hope that your surgery tomorrow goes well. You are always on the top of my mind and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Celine Klis McHale
    Emily, just wanted to send you a quick message to let you know that I am thinking about you and your family. I am sending a lot of prayers, thoughts, and good positive energy your way. I know that tomorrow won't be an easy day for you but you will get through it and you'll be on your way to a healthy recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gail O'Neil
    Hi Em - Sending lots of positive thoughts and love your way. I know you have a huge support system with your family and friends. As I said before, you're a tough cookie and can handle anything tough thrown your way. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers all day tomorrow and I'll call your Mom and Dad to check on you. Hang tough; we all love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Terry Traynor
    emily, thinking of you and your family today and praying that things go well tomorrow. terry

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carrie Conley White
    Tomorrow will go without a hitch! You and your family are in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Emily! We just wanted you to know that we are thinking about you and praying for a smooth and successful surgery tomorrow. We pray the surgeons have steady hands and that they are able to find and remove all of the nasty cancer. We will be thinking about all of you tomorrow and will be eager to hear an update ( not from you!!!!). Please let us know if there is anything we can do for you or to help you!!
    Misti, Tom and Evan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kiana Baker
    Just want u to know that u will be in my thoughts and prayers tomorrow!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Will be thinking and praying for you tomorrow!

    Jaimee Tate

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dearest Emily, You are in our constant thoughts and we are continually praying that surgery goes well. Thanks for the information on genetic testing -- I'll check with Patty to see what we can find out about our family medical history. Love you, Aunt Vic

    ReplyDelete
  10. Emily ~

    Just wanted to let you know I am thinking of you. I hope your surgery goes well tomorrow. You will be on the road to recovery and this will all be over soon. Your positive spirit will carry you through. Extra thoughts & prayers for you & your family. Take care.
    Love,
    Laura McCoy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thinking and praying for you Emily! You did a great job explaining the Medical information. It's not always easy to understand what a doctor is telling you. You have amazing strength!
    Love ya, Judy, Rick and family

    ReplyDelete
  12. Claudia Smith Love ya and have been thinking about you all day!!!!! You are in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Trisha DeSantis
    Thinking of you in my prayers today:) Your blog is incredible and is an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Vanessa Hunter
    Regis Hope everything is going well!!!!! Praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Traci Walters
    Thinking of you a lot. You're positive attitude is inspiring and contagious. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mindy Steichen Klein
    You will be in my thoughts and prayers tonight and tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Rachel Cotten
    Praying for you tomorrow Emily.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Jacqueline Hesse Bailey
    Praying for you, I hope everything goes well tomorrow. Best wishes

    ReplyDelete
  19. Diana McHale Andersen I am sending lots of prayers and good thoughts to you and your family...you are so strong and have so much love and support...you will beat this...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Jason Bailey
    Chrissy and I are praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Stacie Rosenbaum Jinings
    Emily - I too have been thinking of you and will be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Abby Ohm- Phillips
    Thinking about you!!! Sending prays your way!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Liz Allen Sundling Emily, I am praying for you and will be thinking about you tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Emmy Reilly
    Sending strength your way! Best wishes for tomorrow! We'll be praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Judy Delperdang
    Emily - thinking of you and the family. We are saying extra prayers that all goes well. May you be blessed with extra strength. Remember with Faith and Hope you have everything! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Lindsay Slama Vodicka
    Praying for you Emily! We'll be sending lots of positive thoughts your way tomorrow!!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wendy DeGroot
    Thinking about you & your family tomorrow..

    ReplyDelete