Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Surgery #4 / 4th of July Weekend

I strategically planned my surgery for this Friday and two weeks of recovery so I can make the bike ride next week in Remsen and enjoy the 4th of July weekend.

My friend Emily Gardels was so kind to fly in from Chicago to be with me for my last "bad chemo" but since I needed surgery we can enjoy the weekend a little.  No chemo side effects. This week was for surgery #4 to repair my hand. Walking into Midwest Surgical the woman who brought me back to get prepped for surgery showed me her tatoo. It was a symbol for breast cancer and said that she has been a survivor for five years. She broke in to tears and wished me luck on my journey.

After my gown was on the nurses had to put in my IV. This is a lot harder then you think. They can't put the IV in my left hand because my lymph nodes have been removed. They couldn't stick me in my right hand because that was the hand they needed to operate on. So they went for the foot. I had a past experience with a foot IV and it did not go well. This time was not any better as they had to stick me four or five different times because they couldn't find a vein. OUCH!!!!! It freakin' hurts. When it was all said and done they didn't even use the foot they decided to use the port I use for chemo.

I also learned one of my nurses grew up in Remsen and the other nurse grew up close to Remsen. Small World!

Dr. Tiedemann came in and said he was going to look at the nerve to see if it was cut or bruised. If it was cut he was going to try and repair it and if it was bruised then he would remove the scar tissue to help speed up my recovery time. If the nerve is cut I might not get my hand back.

I said my good byes to my friend Emily and husband Steve and drifted off to sleep.

When I woke up I was extremely nauseous and had two or three nurses asking if I wanted more nausea medicine. I kept saying “NO MORE DRUGS!”

Thank God the nurse gave me a puke bag because as soon as I got in to Emily’s car I got sick. I just felt awful. When I got home Chris and Heather McQuillan stopped by to drop off a meal and catch up.  I couldn't even hold a conversation because I got sick two more times while they were there. Needless to say I didn’t get to eat the Runza casserole Heather prepared. Steve ate it and said it was delicious!

We got to celebrate the 4th of July weekend at my parent’s lake and my aunt and uncle’s lake. It was nice to take a break from chemo and get to spend time with family and friends.

We FINALLY got some good news!  The median nerve was not cut so my hand will heal on its own.  It could take a year but it will heal! =)

Thank you to:

Stacy Nelson for the gift card to the Gap!
Kiana Baker for bringing us dinner - I think it has been 15 years since I have seen Kiana.  She was so kind to bring us dinner.  We did a little catching up...hopefully when this is all said and done we can go out for drinks and catch up more!  =) 
Heather and Chris McQuillan for bringing us dinner - sorry I couldn't hang out longer. =(
Emily Gardels for coming in to town to take care of me....=)  Love you!!!!
Thank you to my parents, aunt Linde and uncle Terry for the fun parties.  It was good to get out of the house without having to worry about getting sick! =)


Emily and I at Ginger Cove 3rd of July Party!!!
I had a LOT of gauze from sugery wrapped around my
 right arm so I tried to cover it with my sweat shirt.

Chad and Charlie

Steve and Olivia

Baby Paxton!

THANK YOU to all our friends and family for all your love and support!
 
XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment