Saturday, June 25, 2011

one...twO...THREE.....KNOCKOUT! (Chemo #3)

Oh what a week this has been!  I have been extremely, fatigued, nauseous and angry to write.  I thought if I give it a day or two so I could clear my head .

I will start from the beginning....

My index and middle finger have been completely numb since my first surgery in April.  When Dr. Grange put my chemo port in my right arm it hit a nerve knocking out feeling and movement.  This makes it extremely difficult to do everyday tasks I use to take for granted.  Writing, typing, opening jars, slicing food...you get the idea.  Let's just say I have adapted to my new life style.  Since then I can now crack eggs with my left hand, but that doesn't mean I don't want my right hand back!  I WANT my right hand back!

Since then I met with Dr. Tiedemann a hand surgeon with GIKK who then referred me to a neurologist Dr. Weber.  We need to find out if my nerve will come back on it's own or if I will need another surgery to repair it.

Thursday, June 16, 2011

12:00 p.m

I met with Dr. Weber a neurologist who did a series of tests which included electric shocks and needles going in and out of my arm and hand.  OUCH!  Let's just say when I left his office I didn't want to go back.  Dr. Weber said he would have my results at the end of the day and I would find out once I met with Dr. Tiedemann.

2:00 p.m.

Chemotherapy #3



My good friend Gretchen took me this time.  I have known Gretchen since junior high but we became much better friends the summer before we started high school.  We would enjoy long afternoons in her swimming pool, taco and pizza night when I would stay with her family when my parents were out of town.  Gretchen and I were also on junior varsity cheerleading our sophomore year in high school.  I paid it forward and trained Gretchen since I had one year under my belt.  In return Gretchen found us our new coach Jenna who was a former dance teamer.  She trained with us everyday for metros in which we placed first in our division and first place overall winning the entire competition which included varsity squads.  We were the #1 squad in the Omaha Metro area.  That was such a fun year! 

From there we went to college and when I met my husband Steve, we all found out Gretchen's family was related!  Steve and Gretchen are second cousins.  Gretchen's mom Nancy (Pottebaum) Ballard's dad and Steve's Grandpa are brothers!  It was funny because when I first started dating Steve I kept forgetting his last name so I would always call Gretchen and ask. When I did forget I would always say Steve's last name was Potterybarn.  =)

Gretchen is expecting baby #2 a Boy!

Our friend Lyndsey stopped by to hang out too!



Friday, June 17, 2011    

Happy 39th Anniversary to my parents! 

Happy Anniversary to Lyndsey and Jerid Foster!

1:00 p.m.  Get my nuelasta shot
3:00 p.m.  Get my ta ta's filled

4:00 p.m.  Down for the count

Saturday, Sunday and most of Monday I was sawing logs.  I could barely lift my head, eat or drink anything without dry heaving.

Tuesday, June 21 , 2011

I thought I was back for the week to spend with the kids.  Today we spent the entire day indoors because it was raining.

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Started getting sick with cough and sore throat.   Thank God my mom is on call she came to relieve me for the rest of the week so I don't get sick.  I called the nurses line at my oncologist and it took an entire day of me calling back at least 6 times to get an antibiotic.  LONG story here but lets just say the nurses line at my oncologist needs a lot of HELP! 

Thursday, June 24, 2011

12:20 PM

Met with Dr. Tiedemann to get my results for my hand.  Of course he said my median nerve in my right hand has a partial cut so I will need surgery.  UGH!  As he was talking about the procedure I was fighting back tears.  How in the heck am I going to be able to do chemo and have a surgery thrown in the mix.

4:30 PM  I was feeling awful so I went to my oncologist to get fluids and nausea medicine.  Dr. Thome' said I could have the surgery.  He would just administer a 1/3 of the dose on my 4th round. 

After sleeping on it I made the executive decision to not do chemotherapy next week.  There is no way my body is going to handle chemotherapy and surgery within hours of each other.  I am taking CONTROL.  My body...My decision!

I am also researching alternative treatments outside of chemo and radiation.  If you know of any doctors, books or websites to alternative treatments send them my way!

I know chemo is suppose to work but I hate feeling like crap.  I want to feel healthy and energetic like I use to! =)

Friday, June 24, 2011

Scheduled my hand surgery with Dr. Tiedemann for Friday, July 1, 2011.  I tried to cancel my chemotherapy with Dr. Thome's nurses and once again no one called me back.  So when I don't show up for my session next Thursday I might get their attention!

Please pray for my hand to come back and for a safe and successful surgery.

Don't forget!  Today is the last day you can vote for my friend Melissa G. to win $2500 to donate to Susan G. Koman! https://www.mkmakeovercontest.com  There are 9 Melissa G's so here is a picture of Melissa.  I couldn't get the one from the website to work...I am sure you all are smart enough to figure it out!  =)  I have known Melissa since high school.  We were on dance team my junior and senior year and were roomies in college my sophomore year.  Please support Melissa on her quest to win $2500 for Susan G. Komen! 



This is Melissa G!

Thank you to:

Jeff, Traci, Mia, Sam and Ava for the Papa Murphy's pizza, the adorable hat and sign!

John and Joan Allen for the delicious ribs and potato salad.

Sara Rogers for the delicious dinner!  Tomatoes with feta cheese and Chicken pitas!

Deb Bothof and Matt Edstrand for the organic produce and rice crispy treats.

My sister-in-law Jessica for the generous donation to Susan G. Komen of Iowa in my name.

Melissa Gregory for entering a contest to win $2500 to donate to Susan  G. Komen in my name!

My sister for watching Olivia Wednesday night.

My Mom for always watching the kids when I am to sick or weak.  Love you Momma!

Thank you to all our friends and family for all your love, support and prayers!

2 comments:

  1. I am reading your blog, about to undergo chemo as well, and i am researching ways to support my body naturally while I go thru it. I wont start mine until probably end of july or august. But I know there are many ways to support your bodies natural ability to heal and repair itself. I wonder if you are doing those things? A good chinese doctor/acupuncturist or natropathic doctor can help you. Maybe you already are, but I thought to let you know. Also a great website is mammalive.net
    A natropath put it together about all the different natural things you can do.

    Also, I have read that in europe they give cancer patients injections of misteltoe which helps lessen the affects of chemo....I will be looking more into that for myself.

    I know its frustrating, well I dont know yet, but I know already just doing two surgeries is alot, and my prayers are with you......natural and traditional medicine really can work together, I wish they would more.
    I know you will get thru it and I send you prayers. If you would like to see my newly created blog www.diaryofabreast.blogspot.com.

    Keep going sister.....and thanks for sharing your journey for us about to follow you.
    Aylen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Emily,

    Your blog and Steve's Caring Bridge posts are very encouraging to see the way you ARE fighting this and always a good reminder of what I need to pray for you. Thanks again for sharing.

    I'm sorry you had to have yet another surgery on your arm. Having had some of those same "UN"-nerving nerve tests and a cubital tunnel surgery myself, I know that is very painful.

    I pray the nerve in your arm will fully recovery soon. I also pray the pain meds will help you thru it all.

    Dear Lord Jesus, lift Emily up onto your lap of comfort today and give her a restful weekend and cheery smiles from Olivia to get her through this detour of progress.
    In Jesus name I pray for Emily,
    denise

    ReplyDelete