Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Tata's Fun Ride


Ten years ago, I had never heard of the town Remsen Iowa, I couldn't of told you where it was or how many people live there.  When I met Steve (in November 2003) he brought me to Remsen for the first time in April of 2004.  He took me on the 5 minute tour and at the end I kept thinking wow this town is really small!  Where do you go shopping?  Our first stop (besides his parent's house) was Beer City.  Steve had talked this bar up so much I had to see it for myself.  Immediately, I felt right at home, belly up to the bar, and remember meeting two guys by the nicknames of Shorty and Weasel along with a dozen or so of Steve's friends.  We closed down the bar telling stories of Steve when he was younger.  I also learned on that trip Steve's nickname was "the Beave". =)  Now that I have been to Remsen and I am a Pottebaum I encounter people almost weekly who knows a Pottebaum, is a Pottebaum, lived in Remsen or grew up close by to Remsen.

Over the years I have gotten to know Steve's friends, family and the people of Remsen better.  They have been there for us when we got engaged, married and for the birth of our daughter Olivia.  When they found out I had cancer Team Beer City told us they were throwing a benefit with or without us! =) 

This past weekend I saw all the friends and family that have been there for Steve and me during the good times and now when times are a little tough.  I think I was in shock the whole weekend from the amount of support we received, it left me speechless.....which is hard to do!  70 people rode their bikes for me!  In the heat, wind, up hills, pushing themselves to keep going even when they were tired.  I do have to give a special shout out to Nick Harvey who rode most of the way with his daughter Anna on the back and Dave Fisch who had his sons on the back the ENTIRE 50 miles! 

I am not sure how to say thank you to those of you who made food, signs, t-shirts, donated your time, money, fixing up the bus, having bracelets, bandannas and coozies made, driving in from out of town,  booking the band, and advertising the event.  Thank you to Beer City for welcoming us in to your home.  Thank you to the bikers for sweating and enduring the wind.  Thank you to everyone who showed up to the party afterwards.  THANK YOU to Jeff and Kim Phillips, Jeff and Amy Schorg, Rob and Janel Schorg, Glen and Amy Roder, Corey and Abby Phillips for organizing this event.  How will I ever repay all of you for your kindness?

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR ALL YOUR SUPPORT!!!!!

Driving in the car watching all the riders my sister-in-law Judy kept saying "Wow, Emily this is all for you!".  I kept taping with my video camera because I didn't want to miss a thing.  I am sorting through song choices and footage to hopefully produce a piece in the next couple of weeks. Finding time between watching my sister's kids, daughter and my next chemo session will make it tricky.  I am determined to have it finished by the end of the month.

If you have any pictures or songs you want me to listen to you can email me at emily.pottebaum@yahoo.com.  I can't use the pictures from facebook I need the photos sent to me in jpegs.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Em,
    Just returned from Vermont and looks like the bike event was awesome! Wish we could have been there. You never cease to amaze me my dear, and I am so proud of your courage. Hope your hand is better and healing as that had to be so painful too. We will see you soon and if you need anything, let me know.

    I love you, Joan Allen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was completely amazed at the turnout for this event Emily! What a great support system you have. I'm so glad I could be a part of the Fun Ride - if only to sit in the bar and drink, rather than ride. :) It was great to see you and so funny that our sisters knew each other and our husbands are from the same area! If there's another NW Iowa fundraiser anytime, let me know and I'll be there!

    ~Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Emily, I did not get a chance to really talk to you on Saturday. When I did see you, you were videoing and then I would glance over and the look on your face was full of amazement! One thing about Remsen - everyone comes together and supports everyone and it is always a great feeling and makes me happy to be from there. You look great!!! We think of you often and pray for you that you make it through this as quickly as possible. Your blog is such an inspiration! I do NOT work out or exercise (besides chase three kids around) - so when we did the bike ride I was hoping to make it half way to Marcus - once we got three miles out of town and that wind about killed me I kept thinking of you and the chemo you are having to do and I made it to Marcus then on to Germantown!!! :) But again, I wanted to let you know that you seem like such an amazing person and your outlook on everything is very insperational. I will continue to say prayers for you until this is all behind you. Take Care, Jessica Marx

    ReplyDelete