Friday, July 29, 2011

Chemo #5 Good News / Bad News

Today I feel good! I had my 5th cycle of chemo yesterday and I am told I will have minimal side effects. Good thing I had a driver because to administer the new chemo (toxil) they had to give me 50 ml of Benedryl. This made me nauseous and really tired the entire time.

My former boss and his wife Bob and Teresa Bednar were going to take me but Steve arrived in Omaha and wanted to take me. My friend Lyndsey Foster came and and sat with me. She is a nurse so she was really good to have with me. I kept feeling like I was going to blow chunks and pass out. She asked if I was craving anything to eat so I could get something in my stomach. The last time I ate was at 10:30 a.m. and it was now 1:30 p.m. So I definately needed something. The first thing that popped in my head was a Snickers bar. Lyndsey ran down to the vending machine and served it to me on a plate. Now that is service! After 2 bites I immediately started to feel better. I just needed some sugar in my system. As Steve pointed out "Snickers really satisfies!".

I recieved good news from Dr. Thome' I am NOT HER2+!!! What this means is I will not have to do chemo for another year!!! THANK YOU JESUS!!!! I did learn I was off a week and my last chemo session will be October 13th. I go in weekly so only 11 more treatments. Two weeks after my last chemo session I will have Five weeks of radiation everyday (Monday-Friday). They did say radiation will make me tired.

If you haven't heard my side of the family went in for genetic testing after they found out I had a mutation. My sister and dad tested negative while my mom tested positive. This required her to get a mammogram, MRI and a lumpectomy after they found two masses in her left breast. Those masses tested positive for cancer. Please keep my mother in your prayers as she will have a double mastectomy next month. They will know after they get the pathology reports and surgery her stage of cancer and any other steps to get rid of it completely. If you know my mom she has a good sense of humor and said she has always wanted a breast reduction. As I have said before....BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR!  She is getting a second opinion today from Dr. Reilly and I will update her status on this blog and caringbridge.

Because my mom generously offered to watch the kids during my treatments, she will not be able to watch them now. So my sister is looking for a nanny (paid) Monday-Fridays, 7:15 am - 5:30 pm until the end of the year. If you or you know someone interested send them my way!  emily.pottebaum@yahoo.com or 402-213-7669.

1 comment:

  1. We will definitely keep your mom in our prayers, too. The Lord has answered one with you not having chemo another year. Love, Amy

    ReplyDelete