Tuesday, June 7, 2011

CHEMO ROUND 2 - Cheerleaders welcome!

Everyone has been asking what is going in my body to kill my cancer cells.  These first four rounds are the "bad chemo" which means it will make me more sick, nauseous, fatigued and my white blood cells drop really low meaning if I get sick or an infection my body will not be able to fight it off on its own.  Let me try to explain so you are not confused.

Weeks 1-3-5-7  Doxorubicion (Generic Name - Adriamycin)


and Cytoxin (Generic Name - Cyclophosphamide)



are administered together.  You may click on the links to find out more information on the side effects these can cause.  I have only experienced fatigued, nausea and hair loss up to this point...so I am doing good! 

Weeks 9-20 is still being determined.  We are waiting to hear back on m HER2 receptor....I will explain this at a later date.=)

The day after all  my chemo treatments I go back to the oncologist for a Pegfigrastim shot.  This helps bring up my white cells which helps fight against infections.  Normally my white cell count is 3200, last Thursday (One week after chemo) they were down to 200 (which is really low) two weeks later my white cell counts were back up in the 3000's.  I just have to be sure to wash my hands more then  normal and stay away from a lot of people at one time.  So if you invite me to a party during the next few weeks I will probably decline.  I can not get sick.  This shot makes my bones ache in my lower back for about three days.  This is a good sign the shot is working...so I can't complain.

Thursday, June 2, 2011 - Chemo round 2:   (Week 3) I get weighed and my blood pressure is taken by my nurse Tammy.  This time I weighed 100 lbs even which is up from last week of 97 lbs.  YIKES!  Believe it or not I have weighed anywhere from 105 - 110 since high school so I am doing pretty good in the weight department.  Plus, you have to remember I have no hair and I am guessing that weighed at least 5 lbs!  J/K =)  My hair was REALLY thick!  So it had to take off at least a pound.

I met with Dr.Thome' and he said my white cell count was back up from the previous week so we were good to go!  He also said he was giving a speech at a cancer survivor celebration over the weekend and wasn't sure what he was going to talk about.  He asked my advice what he should talk about so I gave him more then a few ideas.  Obviously, he could talk about a cancer survivor and how they over came such a great obstacle.  However, while speaking to him I remembered one of the main reasons I have been so positive about my experience.  All the support I have received from family and friends has been the main reason.  I asked him what it was like to see a cancer patient who is not as fortunate as me to have such a strong support system.  He said they lose their will to fight, lose their strength and most important they lose that sparkle in their eye.  When they lose the sparkle...well...you know where I am going with this one.

I can't imagine going home to an empty house, no cards waiting in the mail, no phone calls or emails to return.  No help with meals, cleaning or laundry.  I can't imagine my life without seeing my husband Steve, Olivia or my family and friends.  I would lose my will too!

I kept thinking about Dr. Thome's speech over the weekend and over these past couple of days and how I or someone else could make a difference in a cancer patients' life.

My very good friend Lyndsey took me to my 2nd chemo treatment. 

Me and Lyndsey
Lyndsey is a nurse so she is always calling to check upon me to see how I am feeling and always asks if I am taking all my medications.  This was right up her alley because she was talking "nurse talk" with Ethel (my nurse) the entire time.  I kept turning my head back and forth like a tennis match listening and not comprehending anything they were saying.

Ethel and Me

I can't remember how I met Lyndsey but we have been friends since 2nd grade so for about 25 plus years I have known Lyndsey!  I remember we always had sleep overs and would find ourselves in marshmallow fights in her basement.  I am sure her mom Kelly LOVED us after those!  We got separated by schools for a few years but became instant friends again in high school.  I think I went over to her house everyday after school and you could find me in the back yard jumping on her trampoline.  Soon we found ourselves on dance team together our junior year and our senior year we were both named captains. We took our job so seriously we would end up butting heads in practice.  We made it through, graduated from high school and ended up on the same dorm room floor our freshman year in college.  We soon graduated from college and were on our way to our weddings and the births of our children.  At this point I would consider Lyndsey a part of my family.  She knows me better then most and still accepts me with open arms.

While Lyndsey and I were chatting away at my chemo session we were brainstorming different ideas to help with cancer patients or research.  Most of our lives Lyndsey and I have been cheerleaders.  Whether it is for sports or in life.  Now I  know what it is like to have my own cheerleaders to help me get through cancer treatment and I couldn't do it without the wonderful family and friends God has surrounded me with.   My goal, is to find another cancer patient who needs a cheerleader.  Someone to come visit, help with meals, call and check up on them.  I am not sure how to go about this but I will find a way even if it is one person. If everyone could find one cancer patient and be their cheerleader could you imagine how cancer treatment would change?  All I know is if I was alone I am not sure I could find the strength or anything positive about this experience. 

So from the bottom of my heart, THANK YOU to all my family and friends for being my cheerleader!

No comments:

Post a Comment