Monday, May 16, 2011

T-Minus 3 Days to Chemotherapy

I haven't updated my blog in a while because I was in a lot of pain last week.  This will give you an idea.
This time last week (Monday, May 9th) I am not going to lie absolutely SUCKED!  I took two pain pills instead of one Sunday night hoping to get some sleep.  My hand was driving me crazy with shooting pains up my index and middle finger.  I did get the much needed rest I needed but when I woke up on Monday for surgery I was nauseous and sick.  I almost called in sick for surgery. 

7:00 AM Monday, May 9, 2011

Steve drove me to the hospital and we almost had to pull over because I thought I was going to get sick in the car. Luckily, I held it in and saved Steve's car from a major cleaning.  This was surgery number 3 so I knew what to expect.  Check in at the front desk. Go and meet my nurse, urine sample, scrub down, put on gown, insert IV in foot AGAIN....OUCH!, get blood sample, talk with anesthesiologist who was so kind to get me something to help with my nausea.  Steve and I spoke with Dr. Grange who was putting in a new chemotherapy port under my collar bone.  The nurses wheeled me in to the surgery room and I was out sleeping....thanks to anesthesia. 

11:00 AM
I woke up from surgery.  The nurse gave me a blueberry muffin and water.  She check my blood pressure and heart.  Once I was cleared to go I was wheeled out to our car in a wheel chair. 

I rested most of the day and took my pain pills which made me so sleepy.  When I tried to eat it hurt so bad.  Every time I chewed I could feel my chemo port moving up and down which was extremely uncomfortable.  By Wednesday I was ready to call Dr. Grange to have the port removed and call off chemotherapy...I could feel the port rubbing against my collar bone.  I was extremely uncomfortable.

The next few days I would break down in tears because my hand hurt so bad.  Finally, on Friday my sister told me to get on the phone and call my doctor.  She said they had to have something to help with the pain.  I left a message for Dr. Grange who was in surgery.

I then headed over to Dr. Montag's office for my weekly fill.  This was my third fill for my ta ta's.  Erin, the physician's assistant was so kind to only fill my left side because my right side was hurting from my port.  The good news is my left side is now even with my right side.  So far I have 100 cc's in my Ta Ta's.  Only 225 cc's to go to get my B cup. 

I left Dr. Montag's office and headed over to Dr. Thome's office.  They needed to test my heart to see if it is strong enough to handle chemotherapy.  People have died during chemo because their heart gave out on them.  They did say this could cause damage to my heart but they will monitor it closely and will stop treatment if they see any changes to my heart.  They had to stick me with another IV in my right arm of all places, but it didn't hurt that bad.  They inserted some radioactive liquid into the IV which sent it straight to my heart.  The doctors wanted to see how much liquid was going in my heart and pumping out.  They said if my heart was not functioning well enough for chemo they will have to put it on hold, otherwise it will stop my heart and kill me.  So please pray my heart will be strong enough to handle chemotherapy and I can keep focus on the end result.  I just want to be strong enough to get through these next four months. 

The only thing that makes me happy is my last chemotherapy session is on Steve's Birthday...September 29th.  I am hoping radiation and all my surgeries will be complete by Christmas!  God must have planned it this way because he knows my favorite holiday is Christmas.  I told Olivia and Steve we are going to get a real Christmas tree this year so we will have our fake one downstairs and a real one upstairs.  I can't wait for Christmas!

Dr. Grange finally called me back Friday night with some pain pills for my hand...they work!  THANK GOD!  I can finally sleep!

If anyone wants to take me to my chemotherapy I will need drivers.  You don't have to stay you can just drop me off and pick me up.  I will be having my treatments at the cancer center behind UpStream off 174th and Center. Below are the dates and tentative times.  All my treatments will be on Thursday.  You can email me at emily.pottebaum@yahoo.com.  There are a few dates left that I will need drivers.

May 19th - 1:45 pm - 5:45 pm - Steve
June 2nd - 2 pm - 5 or 6 pm?  Lyndsey Foster
June 16th - 2 pm -?  Gretchen Chace
June 30th - 2 pm - ? Emily Gardels

These sessions will be 1-2 hours and will be in the afternoon.  These are all on a Thursday afternoon and I will know the time when it gets closer.

July 14th - Crystal Crowley
July 21st - Crystal Crowley
July 28th - Team Bednar
August 4th - Ruth Schneider
August 11th - Emily Westering
August 18th - Deb Bothof/ Jessica Monestero
August 25th - Deb Bothof / Jessica Monestero
September 1st - Crystal Crowley
September 8th - Emmy Reilly
September 15th - Team Bednar
September 22nd - Laura Morrow
September 29th - I am requesting my husband Steve for this one.  It's his Birthday and my last treatment....I hope!

Dr. Grange told us tonight she is having my tissue retested for the HER2 receptor which means if I have this then my chemo will last a year!  UGH!  PLEASE pray I do not have the HER2 receptor.

Thank you to all my drivers...I can't wait to see you!  FYI if you are taking me starting June 16th and after you might not recognize me.  I could be a blonde, red head, my usual brunette or bald!  =)

No comments:

Post a Comment