Thursday, March 17, 2011

God answered all my prayers by giving me cancer

Since day one of my diagnosis Steve and I have been questioning "Why is this happening to us...to our family?" I have been doing a lot of soul searching.  I am overwhelmed by the positive response I have received from everyone.  I am hearing from friends from every part of my life.  At times I get teary eyed thinking how wonderful you all have been to me with your encouraging words.  So far you are making this a positive experience for me so I thought to myself...why not make my cancer treatment a positive experience?  Why does it have to be so negative?  Tonight, I was telling my mom there was a reason I was given this disease and maybe it is to teach others about breast cancer, maybe with this blog I can help someone through their experience.  I can already tell you I am going to make everyone aware of breast cancer.  It is treatable if you detect it early....so ladies do your self breast exams and tell all your friends and family to do it too! 

THANK YOU Brea Nelson for your speech on Self Breast Exams. (Please say some extra prayers for Brea as she goes through her Chemotherapy) If it wasn't for you I might not be typing this blog on my way to recovery.  It could have been several months later and it could have been a blog where my cancer was untreatable and I was counting down the days.  THANK YOU Nicki (Odermatt) Welte for inviting me to your party.  You are two of my angels here on earth.

It is funny how God works.  He does answer our prayers but it might not be in the way we hoped or expected.

1. For some time I have been trying to figure out what I want to do with the rest of my life.  I have dabbled in a few careers some inspire me and others I can do without.  I know at some point I will go out in to the "real world" again but I want to do something that inspires my soul, helps others and changes my outlook on life.

Having cancer in my body has already changed my outlook and is giving me a completely different purpose to my life. 

2. I have always secretly wanted a boob job.

3. When I had mastitis right after Olivia I did ask Steve to chop off my boobs because it hurt so bad.  (Women get this in their breast when they are breast feeding.  OMG it is painful!)  I did say on several occasions I could care less if I breast fed the next child because I did not want to get mastitis again. 

4.  I do remember saying I hate having to get ready and do my hair, blow drying, straightening and or curling and having a wig would save me some time.

5. I have said "if we won the lottery the one thing I would get is a personal chef".

Food has been showing up at my door step.  THANK YOU to my friend Karen Kirberger who dropped off this yummy chicken casserole with some sweets from Wheatfields tonight.  Check out Wheatfields it is her family business and Karen is one of the sweetest people I know.



Olivia LOVED the shamrock sugar cookies!


6. My biggest fear is being alone.  I know now I am not alone...

THANK YOU to the BODE's, WESTERING's, WOLF's, ALLEN's, FEHRINGER's, HUNTER's, BUTLER's "my extended family".  I have known these people my entire life and they are always there to help you celebrate life's treasured moments and pick you up when you have been kicked down.  John, Katy and their daughter Ellen dropped off such a special gift from everyone.  John said they all wanted to be there to help get me through my Chemo.  They were so generous to get me an iPAD so I could type my blog, make or watch videos to pass the time.  I got a little choked up after you left.  I didn't want you to see me cry.  All of you have touched my soul before this but you have gone way to far this time! =)  YOU ARE THE BEST!




THANK YOU TO MY FRIENDS...near and far.  A special shout out this week.  My friend Lyndsey wears scrubs for her job and on Monday she sent me a text.  A picture of herself in pink scrubs.  A close family relative to Lyndsey lost her battle with breast cancer so please keep Lyndsey's family in your prayers. 

My friend Stacy sent me a picture of the luggage tag I got her for her birthday and said every time she sees the tag she says a prayer for me.  Stacy you always know what to say to put a smile on my face.  I can't wait to hear more stories from your travels. =)

Good thing I have a life long friend and physician assistant down the street.  Thank you to Jen who had to get my IV port out of my arm because the hospital forgot to take it out.  =)

Thank you to Travis and Michelle - Travis you are helping Steve get through this so much easier by just being there for him.  Michelle - Thank you for having your little Paxton the roughest week of my life I love holding him and hanging out with you.

Several friends have offered to start food trains....  Crystal, Julianne, Sarah and Aimee...THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart for thinking of me. 

Angie Ross thank you for offering up your wig. 

Brea thank you for offering your support and pillows.  I will contact you this weekend. 

Sasha, thank you for coming over to just hang and I we could talk about life.  It is nice to talk about other things to get my mind off cancer especially business ventures together! =)  Please keep Sasha and her family in your prayers as they lost her aunt to breast cancer recently.

THANK YOU to my cousin LEAH for putting a cleaning crew together for when I begin my treatments and just being you.  Thanks for calling to see how I am doing.

THANK YOU to my FAMILY for all of your support and prayers.  My parents, sister and brother-in-law  Dave are bending over backwards for me and I know how much this will effect your lives.  I will never know how to repay you for your kindness but I THANK GOD everyday he surrounded me with your love and compassion.

THANK YOU to  my nieces and nephews who are like my own children...Avery, Cullen, Addison and Sully.  You always know what to say and do to lift my spirits.  I couldn't be at a better place at this time.  Being around the happiest, silliest people on earth always puts a smile on my face and lifts my spirits.  Thank you for hugging me on Monday, saying "I Love You"  and making me cards.  It made me cry happy tears and thank God again for all the wonderful blessings in my life.  Avery you are an inspiration to me to keep a positive attitude.  I have never once heard you complain when you have your surgeries.  I promised Avery I was going to be strong like her.  (Avery was born with a cleft palate)

Avery is such a great artist!

Addison spent a lot of time on this one. =)

Avery said she wanted to give me flowers.

THANK YOU to my husband Steve and Olivia.  You are the reason I am going to fight so hard to win.  You have given me my drive to stay positive.  I THANK GOD he put you in my life because I could never live without you.

God has answered all my prayers.  I plan to embrace this experience through the good, bad and really bad.  For lent and this entire experience I gave up all negativity.  This is not going to be me lying to you and saying everything is going great.  I will tell you when I am in pain, when I am sick and when I feel good.  I have said this from the beginning, my little niece Taya has been battling her entire life  with a heart defect (she will be 2 on May 1st) and I have NEVER heard her complain... why should I?  THANK YOU Judy for sharing your prayers.  Now I ask my friends and family to say an extra prayer for Taya too. Visit her caringbridge site www.caringbridge.org/visit/tayadelperdang.

12 comments:

  1. Thank you for the extra prayers. Your perspective on the card you have been dealt is great. Thanks for teaching a lot of us about how to stay positive and look for good in whatever God hands us. God never gives more than we can handle. Sometimes we do want to ask him to stop though..... Stay strong! Judy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sue Calhoun Schlenker
    Sending prayers and hugs your way, please share them with Olivia and Steve! Stay strong and positive, you will get through this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erica Wall Sullivan
    Just wanted you to know we're thinking of you and wishing you the best!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nicole VanDeursen McMahon
    Em, you are amazing! I have been reading your blog and am so inspired every time. You make me laugh, you make me cry. You are my hero! With that attitude, this cancer has no chance of beating you! You are in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Blake Jackson
    Emily - you are young and strong - you can kick this thing's butt! We are all thinking about you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Monica Kingery Higgins

    Emily,

    I am so sorry to read all this, but it sounds like you're going to fight a good battle. I can't wait to read about your victory!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lori Zito

    Hey Emily- so I never check facebook and I am just reading your blog now. Your attitude is amazing! Keep fighting and you will be in our prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kristin Kelly Merritt

    I am sorry to hear the news. I was crying reading your blog. It's really takes something like this to realize how many people love you. If anyone can beat this, you can!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Emily,
    Thinking of you continuously . . . hoping that the news you received is a little better than expected . . . I just hate that you are having to go through this in your young adult life. Thank Steve for setting up the CaringBridge site . . . it helps those of us who are behind the scenes waiting . . . and hoping . . . and praying for a better outcome than expected.
    Love you, Aunt Vic

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thinking about you and wanted to send a big HUG. What a beautiful winter wonderland we woke up to. Now I hope it melts and we can enjoy warm Spring weather.

    Stopped by Target last night as I was looking for the book, "Heaven is Real." I bought the last one and went home starting reading and couldn't put it down. Wish I could say I finished it but I fell asleep and have a few chapters left. Easy readying and just reaffirmed my idea of what heaven is like. No more pain, suffering, tears, tragedy, like on earth, just total beauty in eternity.

    Remember, "you did nothing wrong and you are not being punished." It is easy to think this way when we are facing one of life's storms. God does not promise a life without suffering but promises if we Believe in Him that good can come from it. The Bible gives an example of a man blind from birth and Jesus said, "neither this man nor his parents sinned but this happened so that the works of God might be displayed in him." Found in John 9.

    I promise you will find your Faith will become deeper, more personal and give you peace, strength and encouragement. I pray you will use your special gifts to share with others your experiences both medically and spiritually. Just think if we all made a difference in the life of just one person how the world would change.

    I will continue to read your blog and Caringbridge updates to see how you are doing. Take a day at a time and knowing you are being thought of and prayed for by many, many people that care and love you.

    Blessings,

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  11. Becky J Hoesing
    Hi emily, how are you? Just read your blog and it was pretty amazing, made me cry and laugh all at the same time:) You are such a strong woman, I know you will get thru this. you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kristen 'Wehner' Jacobsen
    Emily...You have always been a strong energetic woman since the day I met you! You're a fighter and nothing has ever stood in your way. The road may be long and hard, but I know you will be able to get through this with all your might and brave spirit. My thoughts and prayers and with you and your family. And I wish nothing but the best for you. Kristen

    ReplyDelete