Thursday, October 13, 2011

I am done with Chemo!!!!

I am happy to report after 5 months, 16 sessions and countless hours,  I finished my last chemotherapy session this afternoon at 4:40 p.m.!!! Yay! I have not been this excited in years. To know that the worst is over and I only have radiation and one more surgery left puts a HUGE smile on my face. Normally I need to take a nap after chemo (because the drugs they give me before the chemo knocks me out) but today I can't sleep. I want to celebrate! I could not have gotten through chemo without the love and support from all my family and friends. Chemo drivers...THANK YOU so much for taking time out of your busy schedule to take me to and from chemo. You know who you are!  My advice to anyone going through chemo:  If you are fortunate enough to have the love and support of friends and family ask them to be your chemo driver.  It was so hard to go out of the house after chemo sessions because of fatigue, nausea and the fear of getting sick.  Because I had a new chemo driver every week I got to see friends I hadn't seen in a while.  Instead of dreading chemo, I looked forward to it because I knew I would get to hang out with friends and family.  I do have to give a special shout out to three people:



Chemo Session #15- October 8, 2011
Deb Bothof took me to a few chemos and stopped by my house every week to see how I was doing.

Chemo Session #15 - October 8, 2011
Lyndsey Foster signed up for my second chemo session but came to 14 sessions!
There is one thing that I learned about Deb and Lyndsey...they are caretakers and all they wanted to do is take care of me.  I never expected them to go above and beyond but that is who they are as people, kind, loving and generous....angels sent,  to get me through chemo. =)  Love you both! 



Chemo Session #15 - October 8, 2011
My mom - Doesn't she look great?!
My mom has been there for me since day one of diagnosis. 
She watched the kids when I couldn't up until she was diagnosed with
cancer.  We talk on a daily basis and she is doing fantastic!
 Maybe our twins (aka: our ta ta's) will be born in the same month?
I will have 33 radiation treatments (Monday - Friday for 6 1/2 weeks) that will start on Halloween. The side effects do not compare to chemo so it will be a breeze! These past two weeks have been busy. I am working on a business plan for my non-profit organization.  "Auntie Em's Angels" will educate cancer patients on the importance of eating healthy and exercising during and after cancer treatment. I want to create awareness for everyone to prevent cancer. What you put in your body and how you take care of yourself can and will prevent cancer from starting in the first place.

I met with Tonee Gay, Executive Director with Midlands Community Foundation and we will be partners. They take care of the accounting and some of the marketing pieces and I can focus on fundraising and creating the programs that need to be in place. Hopefully I will have the website up in the next few weeks so you can see what we are doing! =)  My friend Lyndsey Foster is going to help develop some of the programs too!  I am looking forward to my new journey and hope to help as many people as I can! =)

Here are more pics from the past couple of weeks.


My sister added to her family!
Meet Lulu, isn't she cute?
She is a maltese / yorkie


Komen Walk - with my nieces and nephews
Cullen, Avery, Sully and Addison

My sister Angie with the kids

My general surgeon was there...Dr.Grange
I was suppose to be at a breakfast the day before for cancer survivors
I missed it and Dr. Grange informed me that I won $150 Gift Certificate
to a clothing boutique...but I had to be present to win....=(
Darn it!  I shouldn't have slept in!

My friend Sasha ran while I walked around the venue.
Sasha runs for her Aunt every year who passed away from breast cancer 2 years ago.

Vala's Pumpkin patch
Paxton and Olivia

Me, Olivia and Steve

Travis, Paxton, Olivia and Michelle




Thank you to my Aunt Vicki for the new cup and nail polish!

Thank you to the nurses of Midlands Cancer Center!


MY LAST CHEMO SESSION - #16 is my new favorite number!
Lyndsey, me, Deb and Steve

Thank you to my husband Steve for taking care of me and Olivia, you do such a great job and I could not get through this without you.

Thank you to all our friends and family for your love and support - We are truly blessed!

50 comments:

  1. Em I'm so incredibly happy for you that Chemo is done! Tears are flowing because of how amazed I am at your strength. You are such a beautiful spirit! Sending much love your way!
    Melissa Carpenter

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy for you!!! You are such an inspiration. You go girl!
    Angela Mullen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lyndsey Katis Foster
    My dear friend Emily, words cannot explain how proud of you I am! You have shown me what courage, grace and friendship is all about. Congrats on a huge day and Thank You from the bottom of my heart for letting me be a part of your journey! Love Love Love YOU!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nick Harvey
    We're very happy for you! I have to share a little story with you. Last week Anna got ready for school one day and she was wearing her Emily shirt. I hated to do it but I told her that she probably shouldn't wear something to school that said Beer City on it. I don't know if there's a rule against it but I didn't want her to get in trouble, get sent home or something silly like that. She was so mad because she wanted to wear it really bad. She remembers you very well from the ride and she talks about you once in a while. That means you're a great role model, Emily. Keep up the great work!
    Always praying for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Twilla Westercamp
    Emily, congrats on the end of chemical. You are wonderful at making lemonade out of lemons! Hey. Would you consider some genetics in you new project. It would be such a great avenue to let folks know. Where are you taking chemo?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Elizabeth Fonfara Norris
    I am so thrilled to hear this! You should be so proud for the way you fought through this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lindsay Slama Vodicka
    This is fantastic news!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jessica Pottebaum
    YAY!!!!!! Tough girl!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jason Bailey
    Congratulations!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dana Votava
    You are amazingly strong and I am very happy for you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Brandi McDonald
    Amazing!!! So happy for you Emily:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jaimee Schuster- Tate Congratulations Emily! What a wonderful and freeing feeling that must be.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nikki Boulay
    Congrats doesn't begin to cover it! Best wishes to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Brea Nelson Congratulations Emily!!!!!! Love and hugs!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Jonathan Ulanday Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Shorty Tentinger That's great couldn't be happier for you

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sherri Lee Harnisch Wow, what a journey you have been on! You are quite the fighter!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Amy Valentine Kudlacek Awesome news Emily!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Louise Douglas Ditto from Brea's mom!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Emily DeLashmutt Klauer Yay Emily!! I'm SO happy for you!! You are amazing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Joseph Brand This is where FB needs a "KICKASS" button!!!!! Congrats!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Molly Westering Hunter Woo woo!!! Best news I've heard all day! Xo
    22 hours ago · Like

    ReplyDelete
  23. Angela Giovanni Ross Thats great!!! Should we do some sort of celebration??!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Amy Phillips Harnack Congratulations Emily!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Leigh Ann Hogan Forney Awesome!! So happy for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Kiana Baker That is wonderful news!!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Emmy Reilly Great News Emily!!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Jessica McCarthy Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Khara Plicanic WONDERFUL news! I hope you do something equally wonderful to celebrate!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Kim Eriksen Waddelow So awesome, Emily!!!! You're almost through this "chapter". :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Sheryl Rosenbaum Awesome news Emily! You are an inspiration! God is good!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Gretchen Ballard Chace Yay!!! Let's go celebrate!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Jacque Hesse Bailey WOOHOO!!!!! That is soooo exciting!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Amy Westering Great News, Em!!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Michelle Pulte-Havlovic So so happy for you! Keep up your amazing fight!!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Celine Klis McHale What an inspiration you have been through this entire ordeal! So happy that you and your family can now move on to the life you so deserve.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Lynn Holthaus-Nelson Congrats! So happy to hear that!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Traci Weber-Lutt We are so happy for you!! We will have to celebrate!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Tara Biodrowski Ross Way to go! You are a true fighter and role model to us all! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Kristen 'Wehner' Jacobsen What wonderful news, congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Patrick Sullivan Fantastic! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Rachel Cotten That's great news. I'm so glad that part is over for you.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Anna Wedberg Yay!!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Erica McMahon Such great news!!! You have been so strong through it all!

    ReplyDelete
  45. Cassi Timmons Shanahan That is wonderful news Emily! Congratulations! Way to fight!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  46. Lisa Zbylut yeah girl!!!

    ReplyDelete
  47. Traci Walters I'm so happy for you and your family! Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  48. Jenny Howe So happy for you Emily, your strength is such an inspiration. Let us know when you are back in our area.

    ReplyDelete
  49. Way to Go Emily =) You're an amazing person!
    Angie Waldschmitt

    ReplyDelete
  50. congrats on finishing chemo! i can't wait until i can say that. i have two more sessions to go. my last one is on december 7. all the best to you and your family. {{HUGS}} jen

    ReplyDelete